My Life

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What is a genius?

Genius, revered, by myself, and notably the whole of human society. Most notably secretly longed for by the stereotype on, usually, the basis of greed, and hope for self improvement.

It is not seldom that I find myself, wishng, or even pretending to think like Sir Issac Newton, or Vonhelm Leibniz, or Euler. I fantasise about creating new and useful methods, ones which I may respect and use equally as I do my text (when I"m focused, and when not these thoughts never enter my scope of comprehension, for it is fogged by depressive pensions)

(Passage of time and serious change is brain waves ~4 hrs later. . .)

I knew this would happen once I had no time left to finish blogging after 4th! Grr... so much for the intellectual side of myself, I did have 3 wonderfully complete entries though? Won't you agree?

And now to attempt to summarize what I'd left behind, in a much different tone of voice. The next idea I was hoping to address was one that is very minutae, severely simple and however not readily observable. As difficult as it is for me to focus right now I have no idea if I will be able to communicate 20% of the meaning I had in my head 4 hrs ago but here goes . . .

When planning an event, or a series of events, many have a overall idea of how the pieces of that plan "fit" among one another to cohesively work in sequence for the accomplishment of a given task. Futhermore, with large problems, it becomes, out of necessity, imperative that a person should simplify the overall process and its innerworkings to smaller bits, which are projects of their own.

The dillema, thus arises, just as the splitting occurs. An attention shift occurs, and focus is translated from the big picture to the small. Now, I personally, tend to lose focus of my overall goals, in leiu of accomplishing the smaller ones, and have a drastically difficult time in switching my focus to a positive and constructive one, especially when there is a negative problematic focal point in the gritty, detailed work of the underclassed subproject. Disregarding even my own greed, and ambition, with a much stronger emotion I do not yet understand, I drive myself, most times to depression in order to disobey my own command and continue stubbornly searching for a solution to that problematic focus.

Another aspect, involving the same planning, and splitting, which I will emphasise is the imaginative convocation of resources, and production of a final product versus the pragmatic one. Workings of this sort, are so common in my head, that I've only recently realized how streched the frontier really is. I may head home, thinking that I have work to do, consisting of several class assignments. These assignments in my mind are already analysed, and their exitory "juice" or temptation toward my intellect and creativity, is drained before I have a chance to physically complete any of them. This drain may have occurred during the lecture in school, or outside of class as a followup to somebody's comment on the subject (small things like comments tend to stick in my mind). Regardless the reason and notwithstanding the source, the juice is drained. What does this mean for my hypothesised work in progress? Simply, it is not accomplished.

Why? A fair question, deserving a just explanation. I hypothesise that without the stern focus described in my earlier entries one cannot shake the "buzz" of commotion around oneself in order to concentrate with correct motivational drive toward the final goal.

There is a significant difference in what becomes accomplished versus what I deemed accomplished before setting to actually concieve a physical solution to a problem. The rub is that most times, with my short attention span, and fear of committment to tasks, the justification and rummaging through my own consciense is enough to settle the burning desire in my mind.


This brings me to aswering the topic of this thread, what is a genius? In my mind a genius encompasses a person who can without hesitation, and almost in second nature, find a single focus in the world, ignore the outside influence, and look at the facts in detail. Thus his/her accomplishments toward solving the problem will not be affected in any way by the outside world and only by his/her own abilities and the problems' nature.


This discussion has turned from a more realistic post, to a much more philosophical one from which I cannot even extract meaningful information for now.

2 Comments:

  • that is really interesting(your definition of a genious)

    By Blogger jletton, at 9:06 AM  

  • Genius is so highly overrated. My Dad is a genius and is so "effective" at blocking out the world around him that people suffer and he quickly gets out of touch with his field that he gets left in the dust and can barely function. Fuck Genius, stick w/ Geek. Geeks continue to seek and pursue knowledge. Genius tend think they've already accomplished it.

    By Blogger Noah Coad, at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home